* * *
THE MOSAIC LAWS:
WHY THIS SUBJECT IS NOT
AS DIVISIVE AS YOU THOUGHT
by Doug Friedman1
Different perspectives exist in the messianic movement on the applicability of the Mosaic Law to the New Covenant believer in our present Dispensation of Grace. Why is this subject so divisive, and can anything be done to bring healing to this division?
At the AMC conference at Irvine, California in July of 2006, Doug Friedman sought to answer these questions by taking a fresh engineering look at this ancient theological divide and came up with a surprising answer that is both meaningful and relevant for today. Doug is an Associate Technical Fellow at the Boeing Company with over 40 years of experience in aeronautical engineering. He is also the founder and the Messianic Rabbi at Ben David Messianic Jewish Congregation in Orange, California. His presentation on the subject of the Mosaic Laws is a king's banquet for those of you who love to feast on statistics. But even if you don't, you won't miss coming away with a healthy, new perspective on what has been, until now, perhaps THE MOST DIVISIVE SUBJECT in the messianic movement.
To appreciate Doug's full presentation, you'll need to take a step back from your current thinking on the subject and approach it with an open mind. Here's how I recommend you go about it:
1. Familiarize yourself with the graphics and tables below.
2. Listen to Doug's thirty-five minute audio presentation at this link while following along with the graphics and tables. The audio presentation may also be accessed by going to www.BenDavidMJC.org, then clicking on Sermons > The Torah > The Mosaic Laws, and scrolling down.
3. Below that, you'll find a spreadsheet listing "The 365 Mosaic Laws" for your thoughtful perusal either prior to, or following, the audio, and the PowerPoint slide show below that.
4. Here's a personal challenge from Doug: View the spreadsheet again and take "The Mosaic Laws Quiz." Go through the Laws one at a time, and note how many you do, and do not, observe to find out just how Torah observant you are.
Doug Friedman and Editor
I. POWERPOINT IMAGES
II. ANALYSIS OF THE 613 LAWS
A. "YOU SHALL" CATEGORIES
|3||Temple and Priests
|7||Donations to Temple
|9||Animals for Consumption
B. "YOU SHALL NOT" CATEGORIES
|10||Business & Slaves||43|
C. MY OWN RESULTS
|Most Believers observe
|Most Messianic Believers observe (in addition)
|Most Messianic Torah-Positives observe (in addition)
|Not "even" MTP's observe
D. MY OWN RESULTS - SUMMARY
|Only MB & MTP
E. PIE CHART OF MY OWN RESULTS
1. B.S. Aeronautical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1967);
M.E. Aerospace Sciences, Cornell University (1968);
Master of Arts: Biblical & Theological Studies, Diversified, Talbot Seminary (in process).
Copyright © 2009 by Ben David Messianic Jewish Congregation
Doug Friedman is Messianic Rabbi at Ben David Messianic Jewish Congregation
in Orange, California. Many other fine studies may be found
at Ben David's website, www.BenDavidMJC.org.
Return to Home Page